Chilli Beans, the fun and exciting eyewear and accessories brand, opened its Brazilian operation in 1998 with a small kiosk in the trendy and youthful Mercado Mundo Mix in São Paulo. Rock ‘n’ roller turned entrepreneur Caito Maia developed a unique franchise model in Brazil that revolutionized the retail industry and shopping experience, creating a new breed of inclusive, modern corporate culture.
With a business strategy focused on fast fashion, Chilli Beans sells exclusively through their own channels. The brand releases 10 models of sunglasses, watches and opticals per week of their own designs as well as designer collaborations. Chilli Beans continues to pioneer the concept of self-service in eyewear, encouraging customers to handle and try on products without having to ask an associate to unlock a display case.
Almost 15 years later, Chilli Beans is now the largest accessories franchise that specializes in eyewear in Latin America. The company closed 2012 with 550 points of sale worldwide in Brazil, Colombia, Portugal, Peru, Kuwait and the United States. Chilli Beans' first U.S. location opened on Melrose Avenue in 2006. The brand currently has an online shop and 14 retail points in California that encompass brick and morter presence, kiosks, and a mobile pop-up.
Beyond being known for great styles at an affordable price point, Chilli Beans has a reputation for its outrageous parties and events.
In 2013 in the U.S. the brand made a mark on the California festival and pool party scene by partnering with some of Los Angeles best party promoters and live music events – Swimming with Sharks, Santa Monica Twilight Concert Series, Electric Daisy Carnival and FYF Festival. You can be sure that each event has something as bold and audacious as the brand itself. Look for the brand soon in New York City and Las Vegas coming to a party near you.
In Brazil, when the brand first launched, CEO Caito Maia sold tickets to underground raves out of the first kiosks. Since then the brand has developed a presence at some of the country’s biggest and best events including Lollapalooza and Rock in Rio.
It’s not uncommon to see something crazy that Chilli Beans was responsible for such as giant hot air balloons, roller coasters and giant hand-painted sunglasses.
A milestone in the history of Chilli Beans, a store that is the maximum expression of its concept at Brazil’s most fashionable address: Oscar Freire Street in São Paulo. A design that refl ects the originality and especially, the plurality of the brand. The Chilli Beans Flagship goes far beyond a store; it is also an art gallery, a custom station, a stage for shows and a portal for the brand’s worldwide activities.
Unusual marketing strategies are imprinted in Chilli Beans' DNA. Balloon flights, the Cow Parade and guerrilla actions are part of the daily routine of the brand's divulgation. In 2010, the company sponsored the transmission of ex-Beatle Paul McCartney's show by Globo TV Network, as well as the hottest party in Big Brother Brazil 10. Chilli Beans returned to the country's most watched house in 2010, inviting one of the brothers to visit the company's headquarters and see the process of creation of a collection.
Chilli Beans offers a Licensing Program to partners who want to take advantage of the strength of the brand in the creation of products and services, and who are aligned with its mission and values.
Chilli Beans' licensees have access to all the brand's advantages, also benefitting from its large experience in innovation and its knowledge of market insertion.
Get in touch with Chilli Beans to get to know more about the opportunities which might expand, diversify and "spice up" your business.
• Caito Maia opens first Chilli Beans kiosk at Mercado Mundo Mix in São Paulo
• 1st Kiosk - Self-Service kiosk revolutionizes the sunglass category by allowing Brazilian consumers to interact with the product
• A unique franchise model is established in Brazil
• 1st Store opened in Brazil
• Reinforces direct contact with products
• 1st Store opened in Portugal
• 1st US store opens on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles
• New Products are launched
• Expand product offering to include watches
• First collaborations launched: G by Gloria Coelho, Carlota Joakina, Thais Gusmao and Melissa
• 2nd Store in California opens in Santa Monica Place Mall
• Vista Line Launches; prescription line launched in partnership with Alexandre Herchcovitch; Chilli Truck
• Achieves 400 retail points. Expansion into Angola, Colombia
• 3rd Store in California opens in Glendale
• Opens a record 150 new points of purchase in one year (including new CA locations such as Hollywood & Highland, Century City, Huntington Beach, Northridge)
• Gavea investment joins as an investing partner
• Annual convention held on a cruise ship for 3,000 people in Brazil
*Win Award “Best Store Innovation” from the Retail Design Institute (NYC)
• Annual Convention held on a private island outside of Rio in Agra, Brazil for 2,000 employees
• Chilli Beans expands U.S. operation to include New York City with a kiosk in Grand
Over the years, Chilli Beans has invested in multiplatform communications, using contemporary language and lots of attitude. With this, it has become much more than an accessories’ brand. Chilli Beans performs actions notable for their boldness and irreverence. Its advertising campaigns involve topics such as pop culture and sensuality. Among the most prominent is the campaign called "For All Species", a slogan that carries the brand’s spirit of diversity. In 2003 the brand launched the Designers Series campaign, a striking and sophisticated platform for its signed lines.